The effective funding of higher education is a significant issue facing most advanced economies. Providing education is a highly expensive activity, though the benefits are hard to quantify.
- To what extent is higher education a good example of a merit good?
- Using a diagram, show the effects of subsidising university places.
- Evaluate the case for students paying the full cost of their university tuition during the duration of their course
A government has recently conducted research into the long-term benefits of education. It estimates that, if students paid the full fees, the following would chose to go to university. It is also estimated that the real net private benefit to students is 20% more than they realise and that the benefits to society in general are a further 30% higher.
|Tuition fees per year (£) ||Demand for places (000)||Supply of places (000)|
Use graph paper to:
- Plot the market demand and supply and show the free ‘market’ price (fee) and quantity (of places)
- Calculate the ‘socially optimal level of demand’ at each price level, and plot this on the graph.
- Show the new socially optimal number of students and the fee needed to get this number going into university.
- Evaluate methods to achieve the socially optimal level of higher education.
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Consumer Confidence Compared to Q2 Job Growth Since WWII, nothing has caught global attention and heightened economic fears quite like Covid-19. Many economies are at the brink of collapse, as companies struggle to stay afloat. World governments ...
Arbitrage Price Theory vs. Capital Asset Pricing Risk is inevitable for all types of assets, but the risk level for assets can vary. It all depends on the specific investment itself. Fortunately, even though no one can ...
Federal Interest Rate Projections for 2021 The U.S. Federal Reserve isn’t sugar-coating its assessment of the world’s biggest economy. During its last meeting post-pandemic, it cut its growth projections for 2020 while vowing to help propel the ...
Covid-19 Chapter 11 Retail Bankruptcies and Restructures You can't deny it, COVID-19 as turned the U.S. economy upside down. Most businesses have never been financially worse off, and many have had to file for bankruptcy ...
How Producer Price Index Affects Other Inflation Measures Inflation is the measure at which prices of goods and services rise and fall. It is among the most accurate measures of the general condition of an economy. When the ...