Education Nikolay Krylovskiy2020-01-29T14:52:05-05:00
The effective funding of higher education is a significant issue facing most advanced economies. Providing education is a highly expensive activity, though the benefits are hard to quantify.
- To what extent is higher education a good example of a merit good?
- Using a diagram, show the effects of subsidising university places.
- Evaluate the case for students paying the full cost of their university tuition during the duration of their course
A government has recently conducted research into the long-term benefits of education. It estimates that, if students paid the full fees, the following would chose to go to university. It is also estimated that the real net private benefit to students is 20% more than they realise and that the benefits to society in general are a further 30% higher.
|Tuition fees per year (£) ||Demand for places (000)||Supply of places (000)|
Use graph paper to:
- Plot the market demand and supply and show the free ‘market’ price (fee) and quantity (of places)
- Calculate the ‘socially optimal level of demand’ at each price level, and plot this on the graph.
- Show the new socially optimal number of students and the fee needed to get this number going into university.
- Evaluate methods to achieve the socially optimal level of higher education.
U.S. Job Losses During the Covid-19 Pandemic by Ethnicity Effects from the Covid-19 pandemic have been devastating and are proving to be a game-changer in the 2020 world economic setup. Indeed, the pandemic has led ...
Understanding The Economic Model of Human Behavior While based on traditional economics, the economic model of human behavior is conceptually challenged by the core of behavioral economics. Using this model, we can also better understand ...
What Is An Inverted Yield Curve Recession The yield curve is a visual illustration of yields for similar bonds that have varying maturities, also known as an interest rate term structure. In a standard yield ...
Calculating Yield to Maturity Yield to Maturity (YTM), also called book yield or redemption, is the hypothetical interest rate or rate of return of a bond and other fixed-rate securities. The YTM is based on the ...
Common Global Macro-Economic Indicators Global macroeconomic indicators are statistics that represent the condition of a certain country or region’s economy. There are several types of global macroeconomic indicators, each one unique in their meaning, role, ...
The Growth of Tech Sector Economic Dominance The tech sector has been growing at an amazing rate over recent decades and has played a vital role in bolstering the economy of several world power countries. It ...