The effective funding of higher education is a significant issue facing most advanced economies. Providing education is a highly expensive activity, though the benefits are hard to quantify.
- To what extent is higher education a good example of a merit good?
- Using a diagram, show the effects of subsidising university places.
- Evaluate the case for students paying the full cost of their university tuition during the duration of their course
A government has recently conducted research into the long-term benefits of education. It estimates that, if students paid the full fees, the following would chose to go to university. It is also estimated that the real net private benefit to students is 20% more than they realise and that the benefits to society in general are a further 30% higher.
|Tuition fees per year (£)
||Demand for places (000)
||Supply of places (000)
Use graph paper to:
- Plot the market demand and supply and show the free ‘market’ price (fee) and quantity (of places)
- Calculate the ‘socially optimal level of demand’ at each price level, and plot this on the graph.
- Show the new socially optimal number of students and the fee needed to get this number going into university.
- Evaluate methods to achieve the socially optimal level of higher education.
Stagflation is a combination of high inflation, high unemployment, and stagnant economic growth. Because inflation isn't supposed to occur in a weak economy, stagflation is an unnatural situation. Slow growth prevents inflation in a normal ...
The laissez-faire economic theory centers on the restriction of government intervention in the economy. According to laissez-faire economics, the economy is at its strongest when the government protects individuals' rights but otherwise doesn't intervene. The ...
What Is Adverse Selection? Adverse selection is a term that describes the presence of unequal information between buyers and sellers, distorting the market and creating conditions that can lead to an economic collapse. It develops ...
Explaining The K-Shaped Economic Recovery from Covid-19 A K-shaped recovery exists post-recession where various segments of the economy recover at their own rates or levels, as opposed to a uniform recovery where each industry takes the same ...
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Largest Retail Bankruptcies Caused By 2020 Pandemic As we know at this point, the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown major companies in the US and the world over into complete havoc. Many have filed for bankruptcy, with an ...