Balance of payments
Which account would the following transactions be entered in?
- The sale of £2b worth of UK motor vehicles to Australia.
- Australian tourists spending £200m in the UK.
- The import of £1b computer products from the USA.
- The import of £250m worth of coffee beans from Brazil.
- The purchase of shares by a UK citizen, worth £10m, in a Brazilian firm.
- The payment of dividends to a German citizen who owns shares in a UK firm.
- What is meant by saying that the balance of payments always equals zero?
- Distinguish between a trade deficit and a current account deficit.
- Under what circumstances might a current account deficit be seen as a problem?
- Identify and explain three causes of a current account deficit.
- Assess the effectiveness of currency depreciation and fiscal contraction as a way of easing a current account deficit.
Stagflation is a combination of high inflation, high unemployment, and stagnant economic growth. Because inflation isn't supposed to occur in a weak economy, stagflation is an unnatural situation. Slow growth prevents inflation in a normal ...
The laissez-faire economic theory centers on the restriction of government intervention in the economy. According to laissez-faire economics, the economy is at its strongest when the government protects individuals' rights but otherwise doesn't intervene. The ...
What Is Adverse Selection? Adverse selection is a term that describes the presence of unequal information between buyers and sellers, distorting the market and creating conditions that can lead to an economic collapse. It develops ...
Explaining The K-Shaped Economic Recovery from Covid-19 A K-shaped recovery exists post-recession where various segments of the economy recover at their own rates or levels, as opposed to a uniform recovery where each industry takes the same ...
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Largest Retail Bankruptcies Caused By 2020 Pandemic As we know at this point, the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown major companies in the US and the world over into complete havoc. Many have filed for bankruptcy, with an ...