Balance of payments
Which account would the following transactions be entered in?
- The sale of £2b worth of UK motor vehicles to Australia.
- Australian tourists spending £200m in the UK.
- The import of £1b computer products from the USA.
- The import of £250m worth of coffee beans from Brazil.
- The purchase of shares by a UK citizen, worth £10m, in a Brazilian firm.
- The payment of dividends to a German citizen who owns shares in a UK firm.
- What is meant by saying that the balance of payments always equals zero?
- Distinguish between a trade deficit and a current account deficit.
- Under what circumstances might a current account deficit be seen as a problem?
- Identify and explain three causes of a current account deficit.
- Assess the effectiveness of currency depreciation and fiscal contraction as a way of easing a current account deficit.
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Consumer Confidence Compared to Q2 Job Growth Since WWII, nothing has caught global attention and heightened economic fears quite like Covid-19. Many economies are at the brink of collapse, as companies struggle to stay afloat. World governments ...
Arbitrage Price Theory vs. Capital Asset Pricing Risk is inevitable for all types of assets, but the risk level for assets can vary. It all depends on the specific investment itself. Fortunately, even though no one can ...
Federal Interest Rate Projections for 2021 The U.S. Federal Reserve isn’t sugar-coating its assessment of the world’s biggest economy. During its last meeting post-pandemic, it cut its growth projections for 2020 while vowing to help propel the ...
Covid-19 Chapter 11 Retail Bankruptcies and Restructures You can't deny it, COVID-19 as turned the U.S. economy upside down. Most businesses have never been financially worse off, and many have had to file for bankruptcy ...
How Producer Price Index Affects Other Inflation Measures Inflation is the measure at which prices of goods and services rise and fall. It is among the most accurate measures of the general condition of an economy. When the ...