A steel manufacturer is located close to a large town. During production it emits sulphur which creates an external cost to the local community. The private costs of production and the private benefits to steel buyers, who are mainly cars producers, are shown, along with the estimated external costs.
| Quantity of Steel (m tonnes)||Price car makers are prepared to pay, based on expected private benefit (£)||Price steel makers are prepared to receive, based on their private production costs (£)|| Estimated external costs to society of pollution (£)|
- Draw a graph to show market price and quantity and plot the effects of including external costs. Show the socially efficient output of steel.
- Show the area of net welfare loss on your graph.
- What remedies could the authorities employ to deal with the problem of external costs?
- What is meant by the tragedy of the commons?
- Draw a graph to show a negative production externality.
- On this graph, show the ‘net welfare loss’.
- Explain how permits to pollute work.
- What is carbon trading?
- What is carbon offsetting?
- What is a landfill tax?
- Why might pollution taxes not be effective?
- Draw a diagram to show the possible effects of a carbon tax.
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Consumer Confidence Compared to Q2 Job Growth Since WWII, nothing has caught global attention and heightened economic fears quite like Covid-19. Many economies are at the brink of collapse, as companies struggle to stay afloat. World governments ...
Arbitrage Price Theory vs. Capital Asset Pricing Risk is inevitable for all types of assets, but the risk level for assets can vary. It all depends on the specific investment itself. Fortunately, even though no one can ...
Federal Interest Rate Projections for 2021 The U.S. Federal Reserve isn’t sugar-coating its assessment of the world’s biggest economy. During its last meeting post-pandemic, it cut its growth projections for 2020 while vowing to help propel the ...
Covid-19 Chapter 11 Retail Bankruptcies and Restructures You can't deny it, COVID-19 as turned the U.S. economy upside down. Most businesses have never been financially worse off, and many have had to file for bankruptcy ...
How Producer Price Index Affects Other Inflation Measures Inflation is the measure at which prices of goods and services rise and fall. It is among the most accurate measures of the general condition of an economy. When the ...