Externalities Nikolay Krylovskiy2020-02-08T21:35:13-05:00
A steel manufacturer is located close to a large town. During production it emits sulphur which creates an external cost to the local community. The private costs of production and the private benefits to steel buyers, who are mainly cars producers, are shown, along with the estimated external costs.
| Quantity of Steel (m tonnes)||Price car makers are prepared to pay, based on expected private benefit (£)||Price steel makers are prepared to receive, based on their private production costs (£)|| Estimated external costs to society of pollution (£)|
- Draw a graph to show market price and quantity and plot the effects of including external costs. Show the socially efficient output of steel.
- Show the area of net welfare loss on your graph.
- What remedies could the authorities employ to deal with the problem of external costs?
- What is meant by the tragedy of the commons?
- Draw a graph to show a negative production externality.
- On this graph, show the ‘net welfare loss’.
- Explain how permits to pollute work.
- What is carbon trading?
- What is carbon offsetting?
- What is a landfill tax?
- Why might pollution taxes not be effective?
- Draw a diagram to show the possible effects of a carbon tax.
U.S. Job Losses During the Covid-19 Pandemic by Ethnicity Effects from the Covid-19 pandemic have been devastating and are proving to be a game-changer in the 2020 world economic setup. Indeed, the pandemic has led ...
Understanding The Economic Model of Human Behavior While based on traditional economics, the economic model of human behavior is conceptually challenged by the core of behavioral economics. Using this model, we can also better understand ...
What Is An Inverted Yield Curve Recession The yield curve is a visual illustration of yields for similar bonds that have varying maturities, also known as an interest rate term structure. In a standard yield ...
Calculating Yield to Maturity Yield to Maturity (YTM), also called book yield or redemption, is the hypothetical interest rate or rate of return of a bond and other fixed-rate securities. The YTM is based on the ...
Common Global Macro-Economic Indicators Global macroeconomic indicators are statistics that represent the condition of a certain country or region’s economy. There are several types of global macroeconomic indicators, each one unique in their meaning, role, ...
The Growth of Tech Sector Economic Dominance The tech sector has been growing at an amazing rate over recent decades and has played a vital role in bolstering the economy of several world power countries. It ...