Assuming the economy is in an initial equilibrium at X, identify where the new equilibrium will be if:
- There is a rise in public sector borrowing
- There is a rise in government government subsidies to the motor industry
- The government spends less on defence
- The basic rate of income tax is raised
- The VAT rate is cut from 20% to 15%.
- Analyse the likely impact on the UK economy of an increase in government spending on higher education.
- What are the main disadvantages of an increase in income tax, assuming the economy has an output gap?
- What are the main disadvantages of an increase in government spending not matched by an increase in taxation?
- Distinguish between automatic and discretionary fiscal policy.
- How will the recent financial crisis affect the UK’s national debt?
- Why is fiscal policy more dominant than monetary policy during the current economic recession?
- Give three advantages and three disadvantages of using government spending to regulate aggregate demand in the UK economy.
- Evaluate ‘crowding out’ theory in the light of current government policy towards the financial crisis.
The laissez-faire economic theory centers on the restriction of government intervention in the economy. According to laissez-faire economics, the economy is at its strongest when the government protects individuals' rights but otherwise doesn't intervene. The ...
What Is Adverse Selection? Adverse selection is a term that describes the presence of unequal information between buyers and sellers, distorting the market and creating conditions that can lead to an economic collapse. It develops ...
Explaining The K-Shaped Economic Recovery from Covid-19 A K-shaped recovery exists post-recession where various segments of the economy recover at their own rates or levels, as opposed to a uniform recovery where each industry takes the same ...
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Largest Retail Bankruptcies Caused By 2020 Pandemic As we know at this point, the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown major companies in the US and the world over into complete havoc. Many have filed for bankruptcy, with an ...
Identifying Speculative Bubbles and Its Effect on Markets Speculation plays an interesting role in economics and one that drastically affects markets. If you ever see "speculation" in this context, be sure to pay attention. It is ...