Multiple choice – select the correct option
A distinguishing feature of a natural monopoly is that:
- It is the only supplier in a given market
- It will be nationalised
- It will always make losses
- Its average costs rise continuously with output
- Its average costs fall continuously with output
If a monopolist switches from profit maximisation to sales maximisation it will plan to:
- Reduce price
- Increase price
- Reduce output
- Increase MR
- Increase super-normal profits
Price discrimination by a monopolist can only be beneficial if:
- Advertising costs do not rise
- Price elasticities of demand are the same in both markets
- It creates a barrier to entry
- Consumers can move freely from one market to another
- There is no seepage by consumers between markets
Cartels are least likely to be formed when:
- There are no barriers to entry
- The industry is highly concentrated
- There is a weak regulatory regime
- The industry is dominated by a few firms
- Collusion is easy
The profit maximising monopolist will always:
- Make profits
- Derive economies of scale
- Produce at the lowest average total cost
- Produce in the elastic portion of the AR curve
- Produce up to the point where the extra costs of production are less than the extra sales revenue
- Using a diagram, and with reference to an example, explain that is meant by ‘a natural monopoly’.
- To what extent should natural monopolies be regulated?
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Consumer Confidence Compared to Q2 Job Growth Since WWII, nothing has caught global attention and heightened economic fears quite like Covid-19. Many economies are at the brink of collapse, as companies struggle to stay afloat. World governments ...
Arbitrage Price Theory vs. Capital Asset Pricing Risk is inevitable for all types of assets, but the risk level for assets can vary. It all depends on the specific investment itself. Fortunately, even though no one can ...
Federal Interest Rate Projections for 2021 The U.S. Federal Reserve isn’t sugar-coating its assessment of the world’s biggest economy. During its last meeting post-pandemic, it cut its growth projections for 2020 while vowing to help propel the ...
Covid-19 Chapter 11 Retail Bankruptcies and Restructures You can't deny it, COVID-19 as turned the U.S. economy upside down. Most businesses have never been financially worse off, and many have had to file for bankruptcy ...
How Producer Price Index Affects Other Inflation Measures Inflation is the measure at which prices of goods and services rise and fall. It is among the most accurate measures of the general condition of an economy. When the ...