Introduction to micro-economics
Identify which of the following statements are positive and which are normative:
- UK interest rates fell to their lowest recorded level in 2009.
- Employment rose to its highest recorded level in 2017.
- Higher interest rates are unfair because they penalise the poorest in society.
- Higher prices in a particular market encourage entrepreneurs to enter the market.
- The government should make nursery education free for all parents.
- The earnings of males are higher than those of females.
- Governments should not interfere in the workings of the market economy.
Describe the methods used by economists.
To what extent is economics a science?
Stagflation is a combination of high inflation, high unemployment, and stagnant economic growth. Because inflation isn't supposed to occur in a weak economy, stagflation is an unnatural situation. Slow growth prevents inflation in a normal ...
The laissez-faire economic theory centers on the restriction of government intervention in the economy. According to laissez-faire economics, the economy is at its strongest when the government protects individuals' rights but otherwise doesn't intervene. The ...
What Is Adverse Selection? Adverse selection is a term that describes the presence of unequal information between buyers and sellers, distorting the market and creating conditions that can lead to an economic collapse. It develops ...
Explaining The K-Shaped Economic Recovery from Covid-19 A K-shaped recovery exists post-recession where various segments of the economy recover at their own rates or levels, as opposed to a uniform recovery where each industry takes the same ...
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Largest Retail Bankruptcies Caused By 2020 Pandemic As we know at this point, the COVID-19 pandemic has thrown major companies in the US and the world over into complete havoc. Many have filed for bankruptcy, with an ...