Trading-blocs Nikolay Krylovskiy2020-01-29T16:17:21-05:00
Question 1 – short questions
- Distinguish between free trade areas (FTAs) and customs unions.
- Why do you think trading blocs have come to dominate world trade over the last 40 years?
- What do you think are the two main advantages and two main disadvantages of trading blocs?
- Outline the likely economic effects on the UK of a decision to withdraw from the EU.
- Outline the role of the WTO in terms of trading blocs.
In May 2009 the US chip manufacturer, Intel, was fined a record £950m by the European Commission for abusing its dominant position and illegally engaging in anti-competitive behaviour against another US based chip manufacturer, AMD (Advanced Micro Devises). Intel was found guilty of offering generous rebates to a number of computer manufacturers for purchasing their chips, including Acer, Dell, and HP. Intel has roughly 70% of the global market share of chip production.
- To what extent is Intel a monopoly supplier?
- With reference to the data, explain what is meant by ‘abuse of dominant position’.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of fines as a deterrents to anti-competitive behaviour.
- To what extent could it be argued that European competition policy is simply an example of protectionism?
The Growth of Tech Sector Economic Dominance The tech sector has been growing at an amazing rate over recent decades and has played a vital role in bolstering the economy of several world power countries. It ...
Hardest Hit Companies in the Travel & Entertainment Sector due to Covid-19 Coronavirus, declared by the World Health Organization as a global pandemic, has continued to rain havoc on people and businesses all over the ...
Cost Projections for Covid-19 Treatment in U.S Among the biggest issues that come with the novel coronavirus or COVID-19 pandemic is the impact it will make on the health care system. According to recent research published in Health Affairs, ...
Comparing Fiscal Responses to COVID-19 as Percentage of GDP across Countries Covid-19 has been the most dramatic financial event of our lives and so governments around the world have responded dramatically to this crisis. The ...
International Student College Enrollment Trends in the US International college students play a major part in our economy. According to a November 2019 article in Politico, during the 2018-2019 academic year alone international students added $41 ...
Cash On-Hand For FAANG Companies during Covid-19 Company cash on hand is one of the most important aspects of economics, especially for start-up businesses, and can be the reason for its success or failure. But ...