Question 1 – short questions
- Distinguish between free trade areas (FTAs) and customs unions.
- Why do you think trading blocs have come to dominate world trade over the last 40 years?
- What do you think are the two main advantages and two main disadvantages of trading blocs?
- Outline the likely economic effects on the UK of a decision to withdraw from the EU.
- Outline the role of the WTO in terms of trading blocs.
In May 2009 the US chip manufacturer, Intel, was fined a record £950m by the European Commission for abusing its dominant position and illegally engaging in anti-competitive behaviour against another US based chip manufacturer, AMD (Advanced Micro Devises). Intel was found guilty of offering generous rebates to a number of computer manufacturers for purchasing their chips, including Acer, Dell, and HP. Intel has roughly 70% of the global market share of chip production.
- To what extent is Intel a monopoly supplier?
- With reference to the data, explain what is meant by ‘abuse of dominant position’.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of fines as a deterrents to anti-competitive behaviour.
- To what extent could it be argued that European competition policy is simply an example of protectionism?
Does Public Choice Theory Affect Economic Output? Both on paper and in real life, there is a solid relationship between economics, public choice, and politics. The economy is one of the major political arenas after all. ...
Consumer Confidence Compared to Q2 Job Growth Since WWII, nothing has caught global attention and heightened economic fears quite like Covid-19. Many economies are at the brink of collapse, as companies struggle to stay afloat. World governments ...
Arbitrage Price Theory vs. Capital Asset Pricing Risk is inevitable for all types of assets, but the risk level for assets can vary. It all depends on the specific investment itself. Fortunately, even though no one can ...
Federal Interest Rate Projections for 2021 The U.S. Federal Reserve isn’t sugar-coating its assessment of the world’s biggest economy. During its last meeting post-pandemic, it cut its growth projections for 2020 while vowing to help propel the ...
Covid-19 Chapter 11 Retail Bankruptcies and Restructures You can't deny it, COVID-19 as turned the U.S. economy upside down. Most businesses have never been financially worse off, and many have had to file for bankruptcy ...
How Producer Price Index Affects Other Inflation Measures Inflation is the measure at which prices of goods and services rise and fall. It is among the most accurate measures of the general condition of an economy. When the ...